What should I read next?

Boy reading a magazine at the Manzanar Relocation Center (538076)
Boy reading a magazine at the Manzanar Relocation Center (538076)

Four times a year in Prologue magazine, we feature an interview with an author who has written a book that draws on the holdings of the National Archives.

So, far I have learned about the naval aspect of the Civil War and the unexpected connection that Fort Wool has with several Presidents. Our summer issue will feature this book about the Civil War–era correspondence between Walt Whitman, his soldier brother, and their family.

Now I need to read something for the fall issue. Has anyone read something good recently that features our documents?

I confess—I’d like to read something that doesn’t focus on the Civil War or the military. I’m also interested in learning about the rest of the country—please help me find something that isn’t based in the East Coast.

Of course—I’m happy to take all suggestions if it was a good book! Please leave the title—and maybe why you liked it—in the comments.

This entry was posted in Authors on the Record and tagged , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to What should I read next?

1. Joanne Silva says:

How about, “Cuban Missile Crisis, 1962: A National Security Archive Documents Reader”?

2. laura says:

How about White Collar Radicals: The Tennessee Valley Authority’s Knoxville Fifteen, The New Deal, and the McCarthy Era? The book chronicles 15 young, idealistic people who migrate to Knoxville to work for TVA, and dabble in Communisim, only to find it follows them decades later. It was a fascinating read!

3. Sarah says:

I know you said no civil war books but read Manhunt. It’s about the pursuit and capture of John Wilkes Booth. Even though it’s nonfiction it reads like a Dan Brown novel. Fantastic book.

4. Allison says:

I second White Collar Radicals!

5. SP says:

I would suggest also Cadillac Desert (about California’s water issues), or Nothing Like it in the World by Stephen Ambrose (about the building of the transcontinental railroad).

6. Battleshipbob says:

As an employee of NPRC I could never get tired of Military History. I will cut you some slack though. My recommendation is About Westward expansion beyond the West Coast. A time least studied around 1905. “Imperial Cruise” It will change everything you thought you knew about Teddy Roosevelt.

7. adp says:

Yes, White Collar Radicals uses quite a number of neglected files from the National Archives. A good read for those interested in the Cold War, the Great Depression, and biography.

8. Nick says:

I just finished “Lords of Finance: The Bankers who Broke the World.” It starts a bit slow, but it does an excellent job in explaining how the depression started and how the 4 major central banks contributed to the situation.

9. Kira says:

White Collar Radicals was an excellent read! I certainly wasn’t an expert in the TVA before, but the book provided a wealth of information in a great narrative of overlapping lives.

10. parkinson says:

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions–I will definitely check out all these titles, especially White Collar Radicals.

11. Artfol says:

Great text! I thoroughly agree with the author. But I am sure that there is much more to say about it. I’d like to discuss it with you all. Come and check out my website. You will find lots of juicy stuff there. See ya!