Work can be stressful, especially when you’re the Commander in Chief. Each President has sought a place to relax from the rigors of the White House. George Washington escaped to Mount Vernon, and for the next two weeks the Obama family is vacationing on Martha’s Vineyard.
This summer, we invite you to explore Presidential vacations!
The Presidential Libraries have film footage, photos, letters, schedules, artifacts, and much more that provide a fascinating view into POTUS vacations. You can choose your own adventure on Instagram and chat with us on Twitter.
On Wednesday, August 19, join us for a #POTUSvacation Twitter chat! Presidential Library archivists and curators will be on hand to answer your questions and share stories from:
- Presidential Pastimes (11 am) What did Presidents do to relax and unwind? We’ll talk fishing, sailing, sunbathing, and more!
- Family Retreats (2 pm) Where did Presidents gather with their families to rest and have fun? We’ll chat about life at the beach and on the ranch.
- John F. Kennedy Presidential Library @JFKLibrary
- George H. W. Bush Presidential Library @Bush41Library
We’ll also be joined by:
- The Miller Center’s Presidential Studies @POTUStudies
- Mount Vernon @GWBooks
- President Lincoln’s Cottage @LincolnsCottage
- The Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History @AmHistoryMuseum
We look forward to chatting with you!